Friday, March 13, 2009

If you give a mouse a cookie. . .


Or more appropriately, if you have a hole that leads from your fireplace to the out of doors, then the wild will wander inside. Wednesday night I was watching tv and saw a little black mousie jump out of our fireplace and scurry under the rug. A major freak-out ensued and despite all of Brad's efforts, we couldn't find the little bugger. Then last night, I was again watching tv when I saw the little mouse run out from under our tv towards the fireplace. Eeew. Brad was asleep, so I just went and got my slippers. For some reason being barefoot in a mouse-house is yucky. I think the thought of stepping on it in the dark is my motive for the slippers. Then this morning at 4:45 when Brad was leaving for work, he came in and woke me up to tell me that the mouse was in our pantry. Gross. Brad chased him out of the pantry, just for him to run under the stove. Also gross. So I went to bed and invited Layla up on the bed to be my protector. This morning I swept mouse droppings out of the pantry (with my slippers on, just in case) and vowed to forget my "live and let live" attitude. This mouse was obviously not lost, and he didn't find his way back outside where he belongs. He has hit the mouse-treat motherload in our house and I'm sure that soon he'll bring back friends. (We just watched Ratattouille with Dylan last weekend.) So I'm off to Target, yet again, to buy a mouse trap. I can't decide if I should by a humane one, or pay the little pest back for the damage he's done to my flour and sugar sacks by getting the squishing kind. Any thoughts?

6 comments:

Heather said...

Gross!!! I wouldn't buy the kind that squishes the thing--just because that would be sooooooo gross to find/clean up.
No Thanks.

Ange~ said...

Kill it. If you don't, it'll just keep coming back. And reproducing. Yuck. Those things carry nasty diseases. I don't think you have to squish it- you should be able to poison it. Just keep the poison out of reach of kids.

Pam said...

Yeah, then it can die behind the couch and rot until it stinks. J/K
:)

You'll have to give us the sequel to the story.

Ange~ said...

Better idea- use the humane trap, but put the poison in it. So you don't have to deal with squish or finding the dead mouse.

Rendy Tucker said...

I found some traps that kill it but you dont have to see the dead animal. That's what I got- I'll keep you posted.

Dan said...

Squishy kind all the way. The old fashioned ones that come over the top with the metal bar. Put some peanut butter on it and you'll be rid of your friend by morning. grab a walmart/winco bag, pick up the trap with jerry in it and out to the garbage can you go. You have to make sure all the crumbs and possible snacks are gone from the house. Sid and I had some mice a few years back and we put out one of those traps in the kitchen, turned out the lites to watch a movie and ten minutes later we hear the snap. Problem solved. You have to plug the hole with some steel wool and then put a little box of poisen behind the fridge or somewhere the kids can't get it.