Thursday, March 19, 2009

Jr. Miss


We (me and the kids) are headed to Clarkston tomorrow morning to see my little sister in Jr. Miss. It should be entertaining ;). Anyway, it brings back horrid and hilarious memories of my own Jr. Miss experience. Mostly feeling like a total fake and wondering when they were going to tell us that they had added a swimsuit portion to the competition.

Jr. Miss is just one of those things that you can only understand if you are from a small town. For some reason, people in small towns still find it appropriate to parade their 16 year-old daughters around in ballgowns so that they can be judged against each other. The real irony is that when I was in Jr. Miss, that is the section that I won. Yep, I was the "Presence and Composure" winner. Humiliating- in retrospect, at least. It was supposed to be fun, but for me it was just stressful and fake. I'm hoping Cara has a better experience. Anyway, it's almost like a rite of passage for girls in our community, so I'm glad she's doing it. I think she would feel like she had missed something big, if she had chosen not to be in it (like I suggested).

So go for it, Cara. Besides, it's the only time in your life that you do get to dress up in a big poofy dress and parade yourself in front of an audience like a true Southern Belle. Live it up! And then NEVER, under any circumstances, tell your college friends that you were in a pagent in high school. :)

6 comments:

Heather said...

amen. never bring it up again.

The Tulett Family said...

This is hilarious bx my little sis did this same thing. I'd never heard of it before she got into it (my parents moved to a middle of nowhere town when she was in highschool). She won Miss Poise which we thought was hilarious bx we are all a bunch of clutzes! Good luck to your sister!

Super Angie said...

I was browsing through LMT online, and I noticed your sister was participating. I hope she has fun.

Also, I was at your Junior Miss program. You were easily the most beautiful and eloquent girl on that stage. You definitely deserved the Poise award. :)

Lauryn Dawes said...

I'm so excited you guys are moving up here! We love where we live. It's in the Valley just off Argonne and Wellesley in some apartments. The ward is awesome (15th ward). There are some nice houses in the area and a few apartments, but not tons. When are you moving? Well, if you have other questions let me know. My email is lauryn84@gmail.com

Rosanna said...

hey rendy! how are you? your family is beautiful!

Rendy Tucker said...

Angie, you are too sweet!