Friday, January 16, 2009

Pride and Prejudice

I have been wanting to read it for quite a long time because I loved the movie and the book is always so much better. So last week I checked out the "large print" version from the library (that was the only one available) and dove right in. I liked it so much that I read it in just a few days and I'm already onto my next Jane Austen book, Sense and Sensibility. I absolutely LOVE that time period and all of the grandeur and etiquette of the upper class. The other bonus is that my vocabulary comes up a notch while I'm reading a book like this and I find myself saying things like "perhaps" and "endeavor" much more often than usual. My one complaint is this: I have often been teased for only reading kids books (Harry Potter, Twilight) and I thought that reading a classic like Pride and Prejudice would save me from that- not so. Here is the introduction on the back of the book- "A young woman's book, written when Jane Austen was twenty-one, it has remained the most popular book of her novels." Bummer. Maybe someday I'll read and enjoy an adult book. Until then, I can scarcely have more leisurely enjoyment than when I am engaged in the reading of one of her prodigious works. ;)

3 comments:

Pam said...

There are a whole slew of adults who wouldn't consider Pride and Prejudice a young person's book. I think you're safe there. And, you did love Gilead, so there you go. You totally qualify for adult reading. :) Nice last sentence, Jane.

Ange~ said...

The only bad thing about the books instead of movies is that you can't see the outfits. I love the outfits.
Oh, and you also probably can't read the book as fast as you can watch the movie, but I agree, the books are almost always better....I was so mad when I watched the Harry Potter movies, the cut out so much good stuff....

Rendy Tucker said...

Thanks for noticing, Pam. :)

And Ange, I totally agree about the outfits- and faces. The characters of books in my mind are generally faceless. I think that's why I like reading books after I've watched the movie. I know it will be a good plot and then I have a whole cast of people to see in my head.